Monday, November 1, 2010

Cuse Closet: Impulse Buys

Cuse Closet peeks inside the staff's wardrobes to find out where we're going and how good we look getting there.

Now that I've turned 20, I feel like I can finally reflect on how my priorities have changed since leaving behind my teenager years. Time I once sequestered facebook stalking and taking those useless but addictive personality quizzes (can we say 'Stripper Name' generator?) is now spent doing the dishes and more often than not, I will trade an hour of cringing at the Situation's hot tub dilemmas for an extra hour of work (or in an ideal world, sleep).


This transformation is also apparent in my spending habits. My once, weekly visit to the arts supply section of the bookstore has devolved into almost daily excursions. When you spend as much money on paint, pencils, and paper as I do (and believe me you don't want exact figures...) you have to scrimp on other things, including yes, buying new clothes. Before entering the mall I have to coach myself "Rocky"-style on what to buy (the theme song is coming!) and stick to a stringent shopping list of bare essentials. However sometimes there's nothing better, or more fun than breaking my own rules. This summer, I concluded my back to school shopping spree with a trip to Dear field Binder, a Brooklyn based boutique that I'd happily blow all my money at, and while paying for a pair of earrings I spied this, gray geometric tank dress by Something Else, a label put out by Aussie designer, Natalie Wood. After less than two minutes of deliberation it was swaddled in tissue paper, tucked into a shopping bag and I was in my cab en route to JFK.


In my circle of friends, I am known for my less classy-than-Marilyn Monroe moments of exposure. However this dress is ingeniously cut longer in the best so that my friends (and the rest of the world) can go about their day undisturbed.

Dress- Something Else by Natalie Wood

Cropped Cardigan- Bloomingdales

Tights- Hue

Black patent leather pumps- Steve Madden


-Emily Montgomery

No comments: