Sunday, November 16, 2008

Crocs: The Anti-Christ





The first time I saw someone wearing a pair of Crocs, I automatically assumed she either A) was homeless or B) had just escaped a mental ward.

If I hear one more supporter of the plastic shoes from Hell attempt to inform me that “they’re sooooooo comfortable,” I think I’ll vomit all over my own shoes (which are at the moment a pair of J. Crew sandals that probably cost half the price and look thirty times as cute).

Crocs began as a shoe that wearers found appropriate and suitable for wet activities such as hanging out by the pool or gardening. By 2003, the shoes had gained crazy popularity amongst people all over the world. In fact, the Crocs website claims the shoes have “become a bona-fide phenomenon, universally accepted as an all purpose shoe for comfort and fashion.”

Ahem.

Universally accepted?

All purpose shoe... for fashion?!?!

Excuse me for a moment while I try to regain my breath with the help of this brown paper bag.

Okay, I’m back.

I have so many problems with these plastic chunks of junk that I hardly know where to begin. I guess we can start with the increasingly accepted notion that they are God-awful ugly. From the awkward back strap to the grotesque holes located near the toes, Crocs provide absolutely nothing to which I can cite a “fashion do.”

The sad thing is that almost every one of my friends that dons a pair of these will sheepishly admit that, yes, they are hideous. “But the comfort outweighs what they look like.”

Croc Wearers, I would like to introduce you to my good friend Dr. Scholl’s. The company launched its first shoe insert back in 1918 and has been helping men and women be comfortable while maintaining physical dignity ever since. What could be simpler? Buy your gorgeous shoes, pick up a Scholl’s insert at CVS, and you’re good to go. You’ll feel just as comfortable, and look half as moronic.

So do us all (meaning everyone that has to look at you) a favor and put your little-works-of-the-devil far away in the back of your closet, right next to anything you ever purchased from Eddie Bauer.

2 comments:

Norman said...

well... it's good to know what you think about them. I bought them cause I like them and my friend just show me your opinion because I'm going to the mall to purchase a new pair of "the anti-christ"
If your knowledge goes a little further than the back of your closet you will know that people like different thinks in art, food, and shoes!! so please try not to make everybody look like you think is cool and let me be happy with my nice and cofortable crocs... kisses..!

Michi said...

TOTALLY agree with this post. Those shoes look so silly on anyone but a nurse on duty. ;)